Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pita Pahty

My wife went to Greece earlier this year - some fellowship where they get to study ancient Greek drama then GO to Greece and tour the ancient Greek theaters and places she and her fellow educators were studying. (My brother-in-law took his family to Hawaii earlier this year for some kitchen design convention. I am noticing a disturbing trend in me feeling job perk envy…) Anyway, Miss Kate fell hard (again) for Greece and Greek food. The breakfasts of that thick, strained yogurt topped with honey, nuts and raisins. Feta on anything and everything. Trahana, a tiny couscous-like pasta, in soup and porridge. And, since she doesn’t eat meat (yes…THAT’S how much I love her), she dined almost regularly on vegetable souvlaki while over there.

Last night for our first vacation dinner, Miss Kate requested something along those lines. Eager for a vacation food ‘project,’ I decided to try making my own pita breads for the souvlaki.
Found a great recipe for pitas in the 75th Anniversary Edition of The Joy of Cooking. Let me pause for a minute to pass on the growing respect and admiration I have for this cookbook. I have never really been fond of it since owning an earlier edition back in the 80’s. It’s lack of illustrations and plain vanilla layout make it quite dull to look at. My in-laws have a copy of the 75th Anniversary Edition of Joy down at their Cape house, and I find myself referring to it almost every time I’m down there for something. It’s a phenomenally inclusive reference with simple recipes and great information about cooking and food to boot. I’m still not crazy about how they present their recipes – integrating the ingredients list into the instructions, but I’ve turned to this book so many times I think it’s time to get my own copy.

Anyway, I love making bread and the pitas were really fun. Very simple bread dough of flour, yeast, water, butter, sugar and salt kneaded until elastic, allowed to rise until doubled in bulk, then punched down. The dough is then divided into balls, benched (allowed to rest before final shaping) and then rolled into flat circles. You drop these circles onto a preheated baking stone in your oven and they cook for about 3-4 minutes total.


The fun part is watching them blow up in the oven like balloons (creating the pita “pocket”).


After you remove each dough to a rack to cool, it deflates into that flat disc of pita. This is one of those cooking events that always makes you sit back in awe and admiration at both the science of it all and the wonder of ‘who the !@#*! figured out it'd do THAT??’

Going on Kate’s description of her Greek entrees, I chopped up some bell pepper, red onion, zucchini, and eggplant. Made a marinade of olive oil, red wine vinegar and a tablespoon or so of a fabulous Greek seasoning blend from Atlantic Spice Company. Now…I generally frown upon using these pre-blended spices, but I’ve tried a few that have been recommended personally or in a recipe and I confess to keeping some Goya Adobo and Saizon on hand, along with the classic Old Bay seasoning blend, some Emeril’s Original Essence and now this Greek blend. (Besides, this Atlantic Spice blend was a groomsman’s gift from my friend Jeff, who IS Greek and a great cook…so that’s a pretty strong recommendation!) Tossed the veggies in the marinade for about fifteen minutes, then transferred them with a slotted spoon to a grill rack on the Weber on low heat and covered the grill. Grilled/roasted them until tender, stirring them and drizzling with the reserved marinade every now and then. (If you don’t wind up getting that seasoning blend, I’d go with adding some of the following to the oil and vinegar: honey, lemon zest/juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.)


To serve, again based on Kate’s description, I reheated the pitas on the grill for about a minute per side, put them on a plate and topped them with a mound of the vegetables, some tzatziki – a Greek condiment of yogurt, cucumber and dill or mint (Joy of Cooking again!), and some chopped fresh tomato from our brother-in-law’s garden. (If you’re using out-of-season tomatoes…and you SHOULDN’T be…then I’d grill them with the rest of the vegetables.)

The results got high marks from Miss Kate and I was pretty happy with it myself. It’ll be a keeper in our house and I’d like to try some traditional (meat) souvlaki soon...all by myself, I guess...unless you want to come over.

6 comments:

mo-key said...

B, I must tell you....I absolutely love, love, love this blog! You made your own PITAS????? WTF! I am impressed beyond all measure and feel the gauntlet has been thrown. I must try it!

B. Home For Dinner said...

Thanks, Mo! You're sweet to read it. Try those damned pitas now!! E me if you need a recipe. - xo, B.

Anonymous said...

I feel proud when I marinate chicken in something other than Bullseye barbecue sauce, and you're making your own pitas? You have earned both my fear and awe.

Anonymous said...

Ok, coupla things: 1) not sure why, but your photos are really good - better quality than all other blog photos that I can think of - they really help a lot.
2) wait, your wife *describes* food to you and you re-creat it so well, based on her recollection of it? There must be a word for that, "Cuisinesavant?" or something. Cool blog, Brah.

B. Home For Dinner said...

Thanks, Meat,

Your moniker, I'm assuming, is Fraaanch for 'beautiful mountain of meat.'

The pics I run through Photoshop's 'Eat Me' filter. Kidding...just my wife's not so fancy camera which continues to take great pictures of everything in its sights.

I'm fond of your cuisinesavant terminology as I keep forgetting most of my schooling and rely more on food instinct. Hope I can cook for you in person someday soon.

'Til then, keep reading, my brother.

xoxo, B.

Jeff P said...

I've been meaning to get that "Joy of Cooking" edition since it was issue, oh lo these past few years. You have inspired me to add it to my Amazon Wish List (hello, is anyone out there...?).

In the meantime, LOVING your blog. I continue to toggle between the "eyeing" method and the safety net of measuring devices. It's the smaller amounts (an eighth?) that throw me, but I get the tablespoon/teaspoon pretty easily.

Oh, and being the Greek you reference, I have to say that-- although, I too am not much of a fan of these pre-fab blends, --- Atlantic Spice offers up some pretty good blends. We also are fans of the Taco seasonings blend, for a quick fix to season for homemade tacos. Not such a fan of the Italian or other blends, but this one seems to be a shorthand for us...

J.