Friday, July 11, 2008

Le Squid

Decided to give squid a try for the first time since school. You can (mercifully) buy it cleaned at WholeFoods and they even give you the option of just buying the bodies or (for the hardcore squid lovers) the tentacles as well. B loves his fried calamari, but he's never tried the 'low and slow' approach to squid. Anything between super-fast cooking and long cooking times with squid makes for something the consistency of rubber. Based on a recipe I'd read in a recent Bon Appetit, I sauteed some chopped chorizo, red pepper flakes and garlic, then tossed the squid in the pan with a generous cup of red wine, covered the pan and kept it at a low simmer for an hour. After that I left the pan uncovered and threw in a bunch of swiss chard that I'd chopped up and cooked another half hour or so. The dish was tasty (although not terribly pretty) - more on the rustic, peasant-y side of things - but I like that. Served it over some simple mashed potatoes. Could work well over some pasta, I think, too.

No comments: